Wednesday, July 16, 2014

An Introduction

Hello to You Dear Reader!

My name's Rissa, and at the moment, I'm writing this because I'm bored, and I feel the need to write something. So I made a new blog and thought I'd write something here. Why a blog? Seemed appropriate somehow. I enjoy writing my thoughts out, but sometimes just writing them down isn't enough. Sometimes you need to share it with people, even if they are strangers on the internet who may never actually read this. But at least with a blog you put it out there and open the door that someone else might see it. Funny how that's a comforting thought. 

Anyhow, a bit about me. I'm a year out of college, spending my days working as a case manager for adults who are living with Serious Mentally Illnesses. That sort of introduction tends to scare people off, but I actually really love my job. I enjoy the idea that I can be there for someone when they need it, that I can offer them at least an ear to listen when they need it. If I'm lucky, I can offer them more than that, whether it's advice or resources or compassion or genuine concern for their well-being. I really think that there are a lot of people out there who just need to know that someone cares, and I do care and I try my best to share that with them. Sometimes when I'm really lucky, I get to see and hear confirmation that I helped in some small way to better their lives. That's a really nice feeling, knowing you helped out. And it's just absolutely awesome seeing positive changes happening for people. Today a client shared that they have landed a job, are signed up for continuing education classes in the Fall, are taking steps towards resolving some personal issues, and want to stop smoking. A few weeks ago this person shared that they were having a hard time with their sobriety and depression because of the discouraging loss of their past job. Getting the update from them today and seeing all the good that's happening for them was really, really, really awesome, and I might have spent the rest of the afternoon walking around smiling like a loon.

So yeah, I love my job. What else about me? I really love music and books and quotes. I like to watch swimming, baseball and college basketball. I also really love roses. One day I will visit and/or live in London. I fangirl hard over shows I love, especially Doctor Who and Harry Potter. I just moved out for the first time, and I'm really liking that. It's very lovely having my own space. I also have my own dog for the first time. He's a Schnauzer-Poodle mix (a Schnoodle!) and his name is Jack. He's one of the best dogs you could ask for. Right now he's curled up next to me snoozing, and he looks absolutely adorable.

Rereading through the above paragraphs makes it sound like I'm this super happy person, who's high on life. I wouldn't necessarily say that's accurate, and my friends would probably die laughing if anyone ever described me that way. But I will say this, after spending many, many, many years feeling miserable about all sorts of things, I'm very pleased that I've reached a better state of being. I don't hate the world anymore, I'm taking steps towards being who I want to be and where I want to be in life, and I'm finding that I enjoy life a lot these days. Not all the time, and not everything is perfect all the time. Sometimes I'm still a sarcastic, snarky, witchy person, who easily looks on the doom and gloom side of things. But I've come a long way in the last few years, and instead of being that person all the time, I'm only her sometimes. The rest of the time I'm someone who is hopeful, who cares deeply, who finds the silver linings amongst the clouds, and who enjoys the good things that are happening in life. 

I dunno quite what I plan on doing with this blog, what the purpose of it is. I imagine I'll use the space to ramble and muse and share stories or cool tidbits, probably to occasionally vent. I'm glad you took the time to read through this, and I hope you'll stick around and share in my life a little bit as I share it with you.

Cheers! 
~Rissa

No comments:

Post a Comment